PCB layout design and fabrication for a fast mechanical switch
Start: Summer 2022 | Expected Effort: 10-15 Hrs/Wk
Location: GT Campus 80% | NEETRAC (Off-Campus) 20%
Efficient DC Interrupter with Surge Protection (EDISON) is about the development of a 12kV 2kA hybrid dc circuit breaker. The fast mechanical switch (FMS) is one of the crucial components of EDISON. For the system integration, both in hardware and control, a PCB unit is needed to provide actuation signals as well as to condition and monitor the FMS.
Compensation: Hourly Pay
- Review and improve the existing circuit designs (see images)
- Optimize the circuit layouts on a PCB (in a PCB design software)
- Contact PCB manufacturers for fabrication
- Coordinate with the team to test the PCB unit and to integrate (both in hardware and in controlling scheme) with the rest of EDISON
- Present test results
- Currently enrolled as a Georgia Tech student
- Familiar with any PCB design software, e.g. Altium and KiCad
- Experience in hands-on experiments
- Anticipated effort (5 hr/wk)
What to expect
- An excellent research team, including researchers from the Center for Advanced Power Systems (CAPS).
- Access to world-class expertise in high-voltage engineering, power electronics, mechanical engineering, and material engineering.
- Sophisticated laboratory equipment for electrical signal measurements.
- Trips to CAPS to test prototype.